Tuesday, June 4, 2013

No Flour Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

About a year ago I decided to move away from gluten.  Not because I was told I had to, I just knew it was something I needed to do.  I could tell by the way I was feeling when I ate pasta, breads, cookies… you know all those great things that we all know and love... I needed to make a change in my eating habits.

Bread has been really hard to give up.  I am a carb person.  And if butter goes good with it I am the first one in line for a serving. Not one to have a big sweet tooth, cookies were never on my list to make, buy or eat.  However every now and then I like a good homemade cookie. Still I never liked how I felt after eating them… that darn flour.

In my gluten free journey I began to take notice of recipes that had their own natural sweetness, which I found to be what I craved.  A long my way I found a few recipes I liked. Here is one that is easy to make and packed full of great stuff and will satisfy your craving for something sweet.



No Flour Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
2 very ripe bananas (about 2/3 cup)
2 tbsp organic maple syrup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups organic rolled oats
2 tbsp flax seed**
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
3-4 dates,chopped
3-4 prunes, chopped
1/4 cup raisins
1 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
1/4 cup almonds, chopped (or your favorite nut)

  • In a large mixing bowl, mash ripe bananas until smooth. Stir in olive oil and maple syrup.  Mix in the oats, flax seed, cinnamon and cardamom until combined.  Add in the dates, prunes, raisins, ginger and nuts. 
  • Scoop out a heaping tablespoon (I use a melon baller) of the dough and form into a ball. Place on greased cookie sheet close together. The cookies will not change in size so they can be close together.
  • Bake cookies at 350F for 15-20 minutes.  
They are pretty good.  Are they as good as my mom’s ice box cookies, which is my favorite cookie, NO! Yet in a pinch and to stay away from the gluten they are great to have around for a snack.

**When using flax seed remember that if you want the full nutrition, the hull of the seed needs to be broken.  You can use a herb grinder and just break the hull or grind it completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment