Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Time to think about autumn dishes.

I don't know about you but I love Autumn! Living in the midwest, Terry and I get to experience the beauty of all four seasons.  

Winter's first blanket of snow and the smell of a fire in the fireplace snuggling up to the ones we love.  Starting our Christmas list and wondering if we made Santa good list :-)  And dont forget about struggling with the Christmas lights both on the tree and the house.  

Springs rebirth and watching Mother Nature wake from her long sleep.  The first breath of fresh air when you open the windows and doors...  marvelous! The first sighting of a Robin. The smell of the first BBQ and first grass cutting.  Kids riding their bikes laughing and yelling to eachother as they go by the house... well what could be better!  

Summer and all it bloom with weddings, family reunions and camping.  Creating your gardens, hoping for a great harvest.  The farmers markets open and fresh produce starts to spill over week after week as the vendors harvest their crops.

But when autumn comes, well there couldn't be anything better.  Mother Nature takes out her brushes full of fall colors and paints the landscape.  Farmers finish harvesting the last of their crops.  Little ones head to the Great Pumpkin patch to find that perfect pumpkin for Halloween. That first crispy morning reminding you Mother Nature is getting ready for a long needed rest.  The smell of turkey roasting in the over for Thanksgiving... oh and the sweet potato pie!  Lets not forget the tailgating or get together's for the football games both pro and college.  The Green & Gold of the Green Bay Packers are a proud tradition for our family.

Well as you can see Terry and I love autumn.  On Monday I woke up to the first hit of autumn in the air so that meant it was time to make my favorite dish of autumn and winter....


Cornbread
2 C Biscuit Mix
1 C Butter
1 C Hal & Half
1 C Yellow Cornmeal
1/2  tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
3/4 C Sugar
2 Eggs, slightly beaten
Here is what you do:

  • Place all dry ingredients in a bowl.
  • Scald the butter and half & half
  • Add scalded butter and half & half to dry ingredients and mix.
  • Add beaten eggs to mixture and mix well.
  • Pour into well greased pan.
  • Bake at 325 for 35 to 40 minutes or until center is cooked.


I like cooking my cornbread in a cast iron pan but use your favorite pan if you don't have cast iron.  

I wish I could remember where I got this recipe so I could give them credit.  I have not changed it in all the years I have been making it.  

Cornbread is so great with chili, soups, stews or my favorite way. First piece out of the pan while it is still warm with butter on it.  I will never admit to how much butter I slather on it but I will say it is more then what I should!



Gotta go... cornbread is calling me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment