Thursday, June 26, 2014

Seafood Meal FL Style!!!!

As you know, I (Pam) moved to Fl in Oct ’13.  Since that time my roomie introduced me to a wonderful couple, Linda and Gregg.  Over the months I have been lucky enough to get to know them.    

Linda & Gregg
May was a big month for Linda & Gregg, they celebrated both their birthdays and anniversary.   So what do you get two people who have traveled to many places and have many beautiful things?   A meal to remember, that is what you give them! I am a true believer in the fact that cooking for someone you like, care about and/or love is one of the greatest gifts.

So off I started planning a meal from Kelly and me.  I knew this was going to be a challenge.   Linda loves a variety of flavors both subtle and bold.  Gregg, on the other hand, loves bold in your face flavors.   The challenge of finding a balance was HUGE.   But first I had to figure out what to make... 
  • Do I pick from the “go to recipes” that we all have?
  • Do I work on a dish that we are perfecting for the cookbook?
  • Do I do a favorite of theirs and hope I do it well?
  • Or do I pull out all the stops and be brave and bold and jump in head first with something new that I have always thought was out of my league?
I picked the last one! Yet the question is what to make?  What is it that I think I cant do but really want to be good at?

Chef T (Terry) makes a killer clams linguine dish.  I could swim in it all day, it is so good.  But I know that dish has been perfected over the years and that is one of her signature dishes.  I decided against it.  However there was something about a seafood pasta dish that I couldn't let go of.  There it was, the dish I always wanted to make.  My challenge was the perfect sauce.  I knew what seafood I wanted in it, but that sauce had to be just right  because after I decided on the dish I found out it was one of Gregg's favorites. (yikes!)

I search the internet for days trying to figure out that sauce.  OOOOHHHH it was giving me a headache.  As my frustration increased I got mad, which meant I just had to make a test of it to see what I liked and didn’t like about it.   First time around was ok, but how can you mess up a wine and butter reduction?  It was a fun taste testing day for Kelly and I.   Even the mistakes were tasty...LOL!!!   Then I decided I was going to do what I do best.  Make it up as I go alone.  I knew the ingredients for the dish.  I just had to make it mine.   I felt I was ready to wheeled my mad skills for this meal.

Again I was spinning this meal around in my head for days and days.  Cant tell you how many times I changed what was going to be served.  Then the light bulb went on and I had it.

Here is what I came up with.

Hummus Appetizers
Hummus Hummus Hummus… who doesn’t like a great hummus!  So flexible and easy to make.  You can make it in so many wonderful flavors.  Sky is the limit!  I made three flavor profiles.  Garlic, horseradish and roasted red bell peppers.

Crab Salad
I wanted something light with a hint of citrus and spiciness.  Linda loved all the subtle flavors in it but Gregg thought it needed more of a punch.  I went with Linda's comments :-)


Tomato Soup
Terry and I started our quest for a tomato soup that didn't taste like a can about a year ago.  It is still being developed but every time I make it, it gets better and better.   This soup had a surprise at the bottom which made Linda smile.   I placed a bit of crab at the bottom of the cup and then topped the tomato soup with some creme fraiche.  Gregg said it was perfect and not change anything about it.   I interrupted that as a gold star!  I kinda knew he would like it since it had a big spicy kick to it.


Mango Palette Cleanser
Always have to make time for a palette cleaner.   They are fun and a nice surprise since they are not the norm for the daily meals.  

In the bottom of a shot glass put about a tablespoon of Vanilla Ice Cream.   Puree Mango and a bit of lime juice together and spoon on top the ice cream.  It can sit in the frig for a few hours before serving.   How easy is that?


Seafood Pasta with Garlic knots
Here it is Gregg's favorite dishes.  I have cooked a few times for him, he has been great at critiquing the dishes for the cookbook.  When I placed the dish in front of them I got the “Gregg Grin”.  I thought I was just making him happy because it was a pasta seafood dish.  I didn’t know the full meaning of the "grin" until later when Kelly informed me of its meaning.   I was pretty proud of that dish when all was said and done.  He said it could be on a menu in a restaurant and the sauce made the dish!  Now that is a Gold Star ladies and gentlemen in my book! 

Tiramisu
Though Tiramisu is a very traditional dish that one should not mess with… be bold and do it anyway!  Linda is not a coffee fan so I made hers with Rum Chatta and spiced rum.  Do I have to even tell you how good that was?   I think she was getting a little buzzed... LOL!!!  She kept asking me how much rum was in it.  I wont tell her, not like she would remember anyway... that's how much rum was in it Linda :-)

And a recipe as promised...


Seafood Salad Recipe

Here is what you need
1/2 cup crab meat, either fresh or canned
1/4 cup chopped mangoes
1/4 cup chopped red, yellow or orange pepper
1/4 cup chopped jicama
1 - 2 chopped jalapeno peppers
salt & pepper to taste
2 - 3 avocados
2 limes

Here is what you do
Cut avocado in half and removed the pit.  With the skin still on cut the meat of the avocado into chunk and then scoop out the avocado meat. Place in a bowl and toss with the juice of one of the limes.  Place in the bottom of individual serving bowls.

In another bowl mix crab meat, mangoes, peppers, jicama, jalapeno pepper, salt, pepper and the juice of one lime.  Place the crab meet onto the avocados and chill until ready to serve.

*be creative with the ingredients.  Use more or less of the listed ingredients or add others.  There are endless possibilities for this dish so that means no rules.





Even Ms Bella joined in on the meal. My dogs were complete gentlemen (who knew) and shared their bones with her. Though I am not sure Gusie was happy about that since he kept taking the bone from her, only for her to take it back...LOL! Good girl Bella!!!!


When all was said and done it was a great meal. In my humble opinion I elevated my our skills to knew levels. That means I know you can do the same thing.

Now go out there and make something great for the ones you love!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment