Thursday, August 13, 2015

Blooming spices

I (Pam) recently visited a local pub that had the most incredible Creole Grits in the land! The grits made me want to go back for something more. Because the pub is just down the road from where I live it is a good place to stop. You know…working through the menu. My next visit I had the pork skewer…. They were THE BOMB!!!! In that visit I was lucky enough to chat with the chef. Nice guy willing to share a tip or two. What made the pork skewers so great was the curry gravy on them. So the chef and I chatted a bit about spices. I told him I was learning to cook with curry. We all have to start somewhere and though I was doing an ok job, I knew I was missing something. He told me to sauté the curry before adding it to whatever dish I was making. Well there you go. The thing I was missing! So off to the internet I went exploring what sautéing spices meant. Sautéing spices, for those that don’t know, is called a few different things, frying, roasting and my favorite…. BLOOMING.

Blooming is so simple to do, but you have to pay attention to what you are doing.  Here is how you bloom spices.  You want to heat your pan and get the oil hot.  It needs to shimmer, but don’t let it start smoking or burning.  Turn down the heat and then add the spice.  You don’t want a burnt taste to your spice, you want the spice to break open, which will bring out the earthy and/or nutty flavor of the spice.  It doesn’t take long, that is why it is so important to watch what you are doing.

Once the spice has bloomed you are ready to cook with it.  Here is my version of coconut curry rice.   My first try at it.

Coconut Curry Rice


What you need:

1 cup rice – preferably Basmati or Jasmine rice
1 (14oz) can coconut milk
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric

What you do:
  • Bloom your curry, garlic, ginger and turmeric in a sauce pan with about 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • After the curry, garlic, gingers and turmeric has bloomed, add your coconut milk and bring to a lower simmer.  Be careful not to burn it. 
  • Once the milk has heated add the rice and the rest of the ingredients, cover, and reduce heat to low.
  • Cook about 15 minutes.
  • Fluff rice and let sit for 5 minutes


If you like a spicy dish add a hotter curry.  I like to add a bit of paprika to my curry rice.  If you do too, add the paprika to the pan at the same time you add the curry.  Blooming paprika is a great way to get that flavor out.

In this dish you can easily had your favorite sautéed veggies and a favorite protein like chicken or shrimp.  The possibilities are endless.

Spices good for blooming
Cumin
Coriander
Curry
Fennel
Red pepper flakes
Cinnamon
Black mustard seed
Dried Chilies

No comments:

Post a Comment