Monday, January 4, 2016

Sausage and cheese all rolled up!

Happy 2016 to everyone. Hope everyone had a nice holiday season with their friends and family.  2 Prickly Pears wish everyone a joyful and bountiful 2016.

We haven't chatted in a bit but we are back to the cookbook, blogging and sharing whatever we learn with you.

Today's blog will be a simple one.  A friend of mine, Robin, shared her Sausage Bread recipe with me.  I am not sure where I have been but I have never had this wondrous food before. I ate the majority of it when I made it this weekend. I just couldn't help myself.

I found very little on the internet about where it comes from. All I could find was it was an "American Food" and it made up of sausage and cheese on a rectangular piece of pizza crust. And that, my friends, is exactly what I made.



What you need
1/2 pound mild or hot ground pork
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped fennel
Garlic to taste
Salt and pepper to taste.
Seasoning salt to taste
2 cups Mozzarella cheese 
Dough for one pizza crust

What you do

  • Brown sausage and beef and drain off fat.
  • Saute onions, fennel and garlic.  
  • Combine veggies and meat
  • Roll out pizza dough into a rectangle
  • Sprinkle cheese on top of the dough.  Get as close to the ends as you can.
  • Sprinkle the meat and veggie mixture on top the cheese
  • Carefully roll into a log.
  • Spray a baking sheet with not stick spray and transfer the roll to the baking sheet.
  • Brush with an egg wash.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes or until golden brown on the top.   Remember it is only the pizza dough you are cooking through.
  • Serve with your favorite marinara or Alfredo sauce.



This dish is not limited to sausage and cheese.
  • Philly cheese and steak.
  • Ham and cheese.
  • Veggies (I would precook the veggies a bit before baking to ensure they are cooked just right.)
  • Apple Cinnamon - nice dessert.
  • Variety of berries with a little sugar
  • Egg, sausage and cheese for a breakfast meal.
  • Leftover turkey from the holiday.  Turkey, cranberry and brie.  Now that sounds tasty!

As you can see the possibilities are endless.

Now go out and make something delicious for yourself or someone you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment